Monday, May 21, 2012

Final Paper Brain Storm

For the final paper I was thinking about finding poems that mix love and time and comparing and contrasting how the two ingredients intermingle.  Each poem will have a different aspect of love or time so each poems relationship between the two will be drastically different.  The poems I have picked out so far are Housman's "When I was one and twenty", Yeat's "When you are Old", Lawrence's "Love on the farm" and Auden's "As I walked out one morning".  I will probably use Virginia Wolf's critical essay for some memory refrences.  I was also thinking about using Robert Frosts's "The figure a poem makes" and discuss how and why each of these poems contains memorable speech.  

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to seeing where you go with this, Emily. Remember, think about the specific ways the poets are thinking about love and time. What can they do that fiction writers might not be able to? What do these poems about love and time say to you about poetry in general? Is poetry merely memorable speech, or is it language that. . .

    Dave

    ReplyDelete